Friday, January 17, 2014

Tree on the Hill

Taking a break under a tree on the hill.
I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out.  It's pretty simple and smaller than I was hoping for, but it feels pretty nice.
I managed to do a little bit of the Studs Not On Top (SNOT) style.  My first attempts were just not working for me.  I had things a bit less rounded with the upper layers spanning just as wide as the lower layers.  I think I might have been able to make that work if I had a lot more pieces.  I just wasn't getting enough variation between layers to make it look good.  Moving to more of a rounded curve on the bottom with a much smaller second layer started to make it come together.
The SNOT continues on the back.  I liked the way the layers of corner plates turned out.
I was also happy with the way the layers on the side look.  I was originally trying to make a 'cut from the Earth' piece that would be flat on two or three sides, but having the model built on all sides makes me happy.  Build instructions are HERE.

I had plenty of pieces left over.  I wanted to build more, but everything I tried to add to it made me like the model less.  Perhaps I'll build something else with the rest later.

No comments:

Post a Comment